How to Build Your App’s Brand on the App Stores

In 2020, brand keywords account for about 70% of all App Store searches. But ASO managers all over the world fight hard for the remaining 30% of highly competitive, low-to-mid volume keywords to bring their apps to the top of organic rankings.

Optimizing for generic keywords is not only a choice, but a necessity. ASO managers, accountable for how well the app is performing on app stores, are stranded by guidelines prohibiting the use of competitors’ branded keywords in their metadata. At the same time, they have little to no influence on brand marketing for their own product. 

According to Apptweak, among all keywords with volume over 75 in the App Store, over 90% are brands, and above a volume of 90, all keywords are exclusively brands. Brand keywords also account for almost 70% of search traffic. 

To put it simply, to capture maximum value on the App Store or Google Play in 2020, apps need a brand. Without a brand, pure organic ASO is a game of inches and minor improvements. And once you have a brand, you can use ASO to both leverage and grow your product. In this article, we’ll explore how to build your brand on app stores. Before we get into that, though, it’s important to understand what a brand is in the first place. 

What Brand Means for Apps

At its most basic, a brand is an identity of a company (a product or an app). A brand can be an identifier—a name, term, design, or symbol—that differentiates what you offer your users. 

A brand’s main job is to do two things: reduce risks and set expectations for a particular product. If you think about it, this notion is perfectly applicable to all great brands in all categories. Take Apple, a classic example of a great brand. When you buy an iPhone, a Mac, or an iPad, you get Apple’s promise. You also get its identification, packaging, and support system. As a consumer, you know what to expect when you buy an Apple product, and you also know that the product—and the brand—is dependable. These values are thus part of the greater Apple brand. 

Your mobile app needs to do the same. Identifying core branding strategies is important not only for brand strategy, but for how people will interact with your app. And once you have a brand, leveraging it with ASO will see propitious results in your conversion rates.

How to use ASO to leverage your existing brand

There are three ways to use ASO to both leverage and grow your brand.  Let’s say you have an app that’s already well-known and has solid branding. What’s the best way to leverage it with ASO? If you take a look at the graphic below, you’ll see that tying several granular elements into ASO can make all the difference.