/a>Analog-to-Digital Conversion” title=”Analog-to-Digital Conversion”>Analog-to-Digital Conversion” title=”Analog-to-Digital Conversion”>Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC), reference circuit and proven EXL signal processing core, providing active, no Work and apparent energy measurement. The energy measurement accuracy of 4000:1 dynamic range is 0.1%, the current RMS measurement accuracy of 1000:1 dynamic range is 0.1%, and the supply voltage is 3.3V. This paper introduces the main characteristics of CS5480, block diagram, single-phase Three-wire and two-wire connection diagrams, shunt sensors, current transformers, and Rogowski coil meter connection diagrams, as well as CDB5480U evaluation board key features, block diagrams, circuit diagrams, bill of materials, and PCB layout.
The CS5480 incorporates independent, 4th order, Delta-Sigma analog-to-digital converters for every channel, reference circuitry, and the proven EXL signal processing core to provide active, reactive, and apparent energy measurement. In addition, RMS and power factor calculations are available.
Calculations are output via configurable energy pulse, or direct UART/SPI™ serial access to on-chip registers.
Instantaneous current, voltage, and power measurements are also available over the serial port. Multiple serial options are offered to allow customer flexibility. The SPI provides higher speed, and the 2-wire UART minimizes the cost of isolation where required.
Three configurable digital outputs provide energy pulses, zerocrossing, energy direction, and interrupt functions. Interrupts can be generated for a variety of conditions including voltage sag or swell, overcurrent, and more. On-chip register integrity is assured via checksum and write protection. The CS5480 is designed to interface to a variety of voltage and current sensors including shunt resistors, current transformers, and Rogowski coils.
On-chip functionality makes digital calibration simple and ultra-fast, minimizing the time required at the end of the customer production line. Performance across temperature is ensured with an on-chip voltage reference with very low drift.
A single 3.3V power supply is required, and power consumption is very low at
CS5480 main features:
• Superior Analog Performance with Ultra-low Noise Level & High SNR
• Energy Measurement Accuracy of 0.1% over 4000:1 Dynamic Range
• Current RMS Measurement Accuracy of 0.1% over 1000:1 Dynamic Range
• 3 Independent 24-bit, 4th-order, Delta-Sigma Modulators for Voltage and Current Measurements
• 3 Configurable Digital Outputs for Energy Pulses, Zero-crossing, or Energy Direction
• Supports Shunt Resistor, CT, & Rogowski Coil Current Sensors
• On-chip Measurements & Calculations:
– Active, Reactive, and Apparent Power
– RMS Voltage and Current
– Power Factor and Line Frequency
– Instantaneous Voltage, Current, and Power
• Overcurrent, Voltage Sag, and Voltage Swell Detection
• Ultra-fast On-chip Digital Calibration
• Internal Register Protection via Checksum and Write Protection
• UART/SPI™ Serial Interface
• On-chip Temperature Sensor
• On-chip Voltage Reference (25ppm /°C Typ.)
• Single 3.3V Power Supply
• Ultra-fine Phase Compensation
• Low Power Consumption:
• Power Supply Configurations GNDA = GNDD = 0V, VDDA = +3.3V
• 4mm x 4mm, 24-pin QFN Package
Figure 1. CS5480 block diagram
Figure 2. CS5480 single-phase three-wire connection block diagram
Figure 3. CS5480 single-phase two-wire connection diagram
CDB5480U Evaluation Board
The CDB5480U is an extensive tool designed to evaluate the functionality and performance of the Cirrus Logic CS5480 power/energy measurement device.
Multiple analog input connection options, configuration input filters, direct and isolated digital interfaces, multiple power supply options, an onboard programmable micro-controller, and visual LEDs with an LCD panel make the board a flexible and powerful customer development tool for various power/energy measurement applications.
The GUI software provides easy and complete access to the onboard CS5480 device. In addition, it includes the function of raw ADC data collection with time domain, frequency domain, and histogram analysis.
CDB5480U evaluation board main features:
• Standalone Power Meter Application
• Voltage and Current Interfaces
• Low- and High-voltage Sensor Connections
• Adaptable Sensor Filters Onboard
• USB Communication with PC
• UART/SPI Optically Isolated Communication
• Onboard C8051F342 Microcontroller
• Single Supply Operation USB or 5V
• Onboard DC-DC Converter and Regulator
• LCD Power Monitor Display
• LabWindows®/CVI® GUI Software
– Full Register Setup & Chip Control
– Simplified Register Access
– Quick Calibration Control
– Time Domain Analysis
– Noise Histogram Analysis
• Voltage Reference Access
CDB5484/80/90 Evaluation Boards
Figure 4. CDB5484/80/90 Evaluation Board Outline Drawing
The CDB5484/80/90U boards are designed to evaluate the functionality and performance of the CS5484/80/90 energy measurement IC family. Shunt resistors, current transformers or Rogowski coils can be connected to the analog inputs. Intuitive GUI software provides easy and full access to the on-board CS5484/80/90 device and MCU. On-board LEDs and LCD displays enable stand alone operation for extended testing. These CDBs enable fast and easy preliminary evaluation of Cirrus Logic’s AFE products
Figure 5. CDB5484/80/90 Evaluation Board Block Diagram
Figure 6. CS5480 Parallel Sensor Electric Meter Connection Diagram
Figure 7. CS5480 Current Transformer Meter Connection Diagram
Figure 8. CS5480 Rogowski Coil Meter Connection Diagram
Figure 9. CS5480 Evaluation Board Circuit Diagram: Analog Inputs
Figure 10. CS5480 Evaluation Board Circuit Diagram: CS5480 and Socket
Figure 11. CS5480 Evaluation Board Circuit Diagram: MCU and USB Interface
CS5480 Evaluation Board Bill of Materials (BOM):
Figure 12. CS5480 Evaluation Board Component Layout: Top Layer
Figure 13. CS5480 Evaluation Board PCB Layout: Top Layer
Figure 14. CS5480 Evaluation Board PCB Layout: Bottom Layer
For details, see: